Our Hospice Doves, the volunteer “staff” for Hospice of Rockingham County (HRC), are special people – the very heart and hands of our organization. We are Medicare/Medicaid certified, but in order to be certified, a certain percentage of patient care has to be provided on a volunteer basis. Without our loyal corps of talented and compassionate volunteers, we would sooner or later have to close our doors. But putting financial aspects aside, The Doves help keep HRC running like a well-oiled machine. As integral parts of the Hospice team, either directly or indirectly, our volunteers enable patients with limited life expectancies to continue to live each day to the fullest. Many different types of volunteers are vital to the success of Hospice. Whatever your talent or skills, Hospice can utilize your abilities. If you have as few as a couple hours a week available, please consider becoming a Hospice volunteer.
How can our volunteers help?
A Patient Care Volunteer Might …
- Read to patients
- Run errands
- Help with meals
- Help around the patient’s house
- Relieve caregiver to run errands
- Offer emotional support to the patient or caregiver
Our Couriers …
Pick up patient meals each day at UNC Rockingham Health Care (formerly Morehead Memorial Hospital) in Eden and deliver them to Gibson House in Wentworth
An Office Volunteer Might …
- Answer the switchboard
- Assist with bulk mailings (i.e. folding letters, stuffing envelopes, labeling, etc.)
- Help with copying or filing
Our Special Events Volunteers Sometimes …
- Assist with fund-raising events (Dewey’s Bakery fundraising store, online auction, etc.)
- Organize fund-raising events (benefit walk)
- Work in our informational display booth at local festivals and health fairs
Our Gibson House Volunteers Could …
- Offer general assistance to Gibson House staff late afternoons or weekends, which could mean
- Putting laundry into the washer or dryer
- Checking patients’ rooms for needed supplies
- Folding a load of towels
- Washing up a few dishes in the kitchen
A Bereavement Volunteer Might …
- Provide support to family members after a patient’s death
- Run errands for a family member
- Assist with grief support group meetings
Volunteers’ Annual Walk to Remember
The Doves host their annual fundraising Walk to Remember in April, typically on the 4th Saturday. The walk venue is on the walking trail at Chinqua Penn Plantation.
Meetings are temporarily on hold due to Covid-19 restrictions but under normal circumstances, meetings for our active volunteers are held in the community room in Gibson House on the 3rd Tuesday of each month.
Need more information? Please contact Terry Matthews, Volunteer & Event Manager at (336) 427-9026, ext. 137 or email her at email@example.com.